Our services advance safe and active streets for all, through:
Informed Decision Making
Knowledge is the foundation of thoughtful and informed decision making.
TCAT is at the forefront of knowledge generation in active transportation and Complete Streets with a highly-regarded track record of conducting leading-edge research and policy analysis. Our strong, inter-disciplinary team draws on expertise in public health, equity, transportation, urban planning, and sustainability to tackle complex problems.
We will support you to:
- Evaluate the economic and social impacts of new active transportation infrastructure projects
- Understand and tap into the active transportation potential in your community
- Break down silos and move from policy to practice through feasibility scans, case studies and best practice reviews
People are at the heart of our work.
We thoughtfully engage communities in the planning, implementation, and programming of their streets. From bringing diverse voices into planning conversations through our co-design process, to incubating cycling adoption through a bike hub, to helping demonstrate potential with an infrastructure pop-up, we know how to inspire, engage, and excite communities.
We will support you to:
- Bring together residents and professionals to co-design active, livable neighbourhoods
- Work with residents to re-imagine their streets through innovative and fun engagement activities, including community design charrettes, infrastructure pop-ups, and our popular Complete Streets Game
- Strategically identify potential, build partnerships, and spark behaviour change to incubate cycling in your community
Professional practice is where the (bike) rubber hits the road.
When it comes to creating effective active transportation systems, professional practitioners are the essential link between policy, planning, and implementation. Our professional development services ensure that transportation, built environment, and public health professionals are equipped to create healthy, inclusive, and active streets. TCAT has over a decade of experience in developing and conducting a range of knowledge exchange events, from small workshops, focus groups and seminars to large public conferences, all tailored to tackle the most current and relevant active transportation issues and provide leading-edge solutions.
- Complete Streets policy & evaluation in Canada’s diverse contexts (urban, suburban, rural)
- Moving from active transportation policy to implementation
- Connecting built environment, transportation, and health
- Incubating suburban cycling: strategic approaches
- Equity and inclusion in community engagement
- Custom workshops tailored to your needs
TCAT is recognized as a leading voice in providing evidence and pragmatic policy solutions for supporting cycling and walking in Canada. A key part of TCAT’s success has been their collective approach, convening experts from academia, the public and all levels of government, as well as bringing in the insights from experts from around the world.
Charles O’Hara Manager, Growth Policy Ontario Growth Secretariat, Ministry of Municipal Affairs
TCAT has extensive experience in engaging wide participation from professional and community members alike and has a wide network of expert, scholarly, municipal and community associates. TCAT is a leader in addressing the economic, social and environmental benefits associated with transforming transportation.
Dr. Beth Savan, Senior Lecturer Emeritus, University of Toronto
TCAT's work permits us to make evidence-based decisions and also serves as a baseline for evaluation of any road modifications.
Fiona Chapman, Manager of Pedestrian Projects, Transportation Services, City of Toronto
TCAT’s groundbreaking research reports have time and again paved the way for crucial developments in sustainable transportation infrastructure in Toronto, Canada and around the world. They are a vital asset to our community.
Dr. Steve Farber, Assistant Professor, Department of Geography and Planning, University of Toronto Scarborough
The exposure and opportunity to share our experience with other municipalities [through TCAT's Complete Street Transformations book] reinforced the importance of our vision and commitment to our Transportation Master Plan. It also enabled our Council and community to understand that the positive impact of this project extended beyond our City limits.
Vic Bohdanow, Design Engineer City of Brantford
Why work with us?
We have a passion for active transportation.
TCAT staff and associates truly care about making communities better places to walk and bike. We are a committed team of active transportation users, with decades of first-hand experience walking and cycling in cities and towns worldwide. As a project of the registered charity Clean Air Partnership, TCAT’s fee-for-service work supports our charitable programs, and advances CAP’s mission to help municipalities become sustainable, resilient, and vibrant communities.
You can feel happy knowing that your fees are going to a good cause, but that’s not the only benefit you’ll get from working with TCAT. For a competitive rate, we bring you:
- A diverse team, with expertise in transportation, public health, urban planning, community engagement, and sustainability
- A strategic focus on active transportation as a tool for achieving the broader goals of healthy, inclusive, and sustainable communities
- A collaborative model that seeks partnerships with local stakeholders to amplify our collective impact
- Demonstrated excellence in translating complex ideas into plain language and compelling graphics