Complete Streets Forum 2010 Organizers
The executive committee consists of an experienced professional team, a unique collaboration between municipal staff and community groups who share the goal of promoting active transportation. The executive committee members develop the thematic structure for the Forum, set overall targets and deliverables, assemble government and community partners, finalize sessions, and organize opening and closing sessions and any ancillary events.
- The Toronto Coalition for Active Transportation (TCAT), a project of the Clean Air Partnership (CAP) organized two successful one-day Bike Summits in 2008 and 2009. These bicycle policy events were designed to provide insight and inspiration to move professionals and advocates alike ahead in making our communities truly bicycle friendly. Attracting hundreds of registrants and numerous sponsors, the events sold out each year. Exit surveys showed a high satisfaction rate and interest in attending future events. Nancy Smith Lea, TCAT Program Director, is responsible for overall event coordination, financial management and is the program committee chair of the Complete Streets Forum.
- Transportation Options, lead partner in the Bike Train Initiative, organized a high-profile Ontario Cycle Tourism Forum in 2009. This one-day event featured presentations from world-leading cycle tourism organizations and provided market profiles of specific regions, business development case studies, best practices in infrastructure and signage, and evaluation of regional growth opportunities. Justin Lafontaine, Bike Train Project Director, is organizing a tourism session as part of the Complete Streets Forum.
- The City of Toronto is a leader in supporting active transportation by providing programs and facilities that support people’s decision to walk and bicycle. Much of the focus of the past several years has been to knit together the walking, cycling and transit-friendly city centre with the automobile dependant post-war suburbs that form a large part of the new city. The City of Toronto was the lead sponsor for TCAT’s Bike Summits and a partner in Transportation Options’ Ontario Cycle Tourism Forum. Sean Wheldrake, Project Lead, Cycling Infrastructure and Programs Unit, Transportation Services, is responsible for government partner recruitment for the Complete Streets Forum.
Government Partner Program Advisory Committee
The Government Partner Program Advisory Committee provides input regarding session content, including identifying appropriate speakers.
- Wayne Chan, Manager, Transportation Planning, Public Works, Region of Peel
- Fiona Chapman, Manager, Pedestrian Projects, Public Realm Section, Transportation Services, City of Toronto
- Loy Cheah, Director, Infrastructure Planning, Planning and Development Services, Regional Municipality of York
- Stephanie Gower, Research Consultant, Environmental Protection Office, Toronto Public Health, City of Toronto
- Keri Hyde-Baxter, Active Transportation Coordinator, Public Works Department, Region of Peel
- David Lukezic, Transportation Planner, Transportation Services, Regional Municipality of Halton